Saturday, March 23, 2013

Holism, OneSketchist and Dead Eyes...




Why hello once again my faithful readers!



I still have a sloppy schedule for writing in this blog, but it matters not much, methinks.


I cannot recall anything too special having occurred since my last entry, except on this very same day that I'm writing on (technically it's night though)... Some time ago I got a call, which purpose was a job offering. Can you guess what the offered payment is?

It's basically 1000 € an hour, I kid you not.

Sad thing is, I only use 3 minutes of said hour, so I get 50 €.

Now you might be thinking: What kind of job could result in so much money, yet take so little time?

What happened was I got a call from a school (yes, the building itself called me, not a human... sure), wanting me to play the piano for a special occasion. This is not the first time that this has happened either. Apparently I have done a good enough job for them to want me back.

I guess this kinda makes me a professional musician : p ?

All I do is enter this big room, play a song on this most lovely Steinway & Sons grand piano, and then I simply leave.

I'm glad that I don't have stage fright, or the job would be much more demanding. Luckily, I've gained enough confidence in my own skills to manage quite a performance.

Anyway, something really scary happened to me while I was waiting for my time to play. I was sick yesterday, with a sore throat and an aching right ear. I mostly recovered over night, or so I thought.

While I was sitting there, I suddenly began hearing really loud noises is my right ear. It sounded just like rustling paper being right next to my ear, almost inside it. It also felt like something inside of my ear had broken, so I instantly checked my hearing, and it was oterwise just fine. I tried touching my ear as well, which resulted in even more of the peculiar nosie, seemingly deriving from the inside of my skull.

I had to play the piano like that, in front of the crowd. The odd sensation didn't disappear until almost half an hour later. I still don't know what really happened, but I think it's related to my ear hurting the day before (the experience didn't hurt, it was just really creepy, and worried me sick. Since I hadn't been experiencing anything similar before, my first thought was that my eardrum had somehow got punctured, luckily this was not the case). Anyway, I seem to be fine now... I hope.





From one topic to another.

I have been reading a lot of OneSketchist's old blog post's recently. Some of them are really educational, or even inspiring!

Before reading on, I strongly suggest that you read this entry in particular, since what I'm going to talk about next is much easier to understand if you do so (it might be next to impossible without it).


So I read how drawing holistically is a good way to chose for getting a base line for a picture, making it much easier adding the rest (details, shadings etc.). I imagine this works best for drawing concrete stuff like faces and objects, while drawing more abstract art can be manageable without it. Don't take my word for it though; I am not a skilled painter nor anything similar to that, so I am speaking from a position of ignorance.

However, this same thing got me thinking. I might not be skilled at drawing, but my area of expertise is more closely related to music. Music isn't often (at least to my knowledge) perceived as something as concrete as many other art forms. Sure it has a certain shape, joined by various patterns, but it still isn't quite the same thing as a drawing.

While music can also very well be created holistically, there are certainly no real rights and wrongs as to how to make music (naturally, there are often certain baselines too).

There are many approaches to creating music; you could just do something random creating noise, which might result in something that sounds good ( it probably will not though, but it's possible). You could aslo chose certain chord patterns, being followed through the entire song. It's aslo possible to create a melody first, whilst adding a base (mostly left hand on a piano, chords or whatever). You could create many different parts and then puzzle them together at a later point. One can create orchestra music with an almost unlimited amount of instruments, or even mix two already existing compositions togehter.


But one important way is not mentioned above. What could it be?

It's almost the most obvious way of them all, since music has it's base in time, and time passing.

What do I mean by this? Well, the counterpart to holistic creating of music could of course be said to be creating everything in order, following the flow of time. You start from the beginning of the song, choosing both the melody and the chords at the same time. Then you simply progress from there until you reach a point where you want the composition to end.

Simple isn't it?

I imagine it might be for some, for others not.

Luckily, I can create music in pretty much all the ways I mentioned (Though I'm stuck to one instrument, I should really take some time to learn other ones too. Luckily [I've used that word too many times already], Synthesizers can pretend to be many different instruments than just a piano).



Back to my point. I became inspired by OneSketchist's writings, and decided to compose a song in order from beginning to end, so I did.

It turned out in quite (god I love that word) an interesting manner.


Before listening to it, I'd appreciate if you read this explanation to it:

The song doesn't really have much of a usual pattern that repeats, nor a melody of such kind either. Naturally, some of the chord patterns resemble eachother, but this song is still constanlty shifting. It was really late when I recorded it, and as you might know, my neighbors don't really like when I play, even with headsets! (electric piano). Hence, I had to hit the keys softly. This resulted in that the tones might be slighlty dull, and since it's much more difficult to play softly, I made some mistakes. Also, the volume might be pretty low, depening on your speakers/headsets.

I don't think I consider the song finished yet, but since it was so late I had to stop playing even so softly as I tried to do...




I would love to hear feedback on this composition of mine! It's definitely not my best, but it might be the best I've posted here so far (depending on opinion).

The last part is a bit weird, should I change it?


I recommend that you listen to the song more than once. It is a bit odd, compared to many other songs, so it takes a few times for the ears (your brain, really) to adapt to the way it sounds (for most people).


Are there any good critics reading this?



Anyway, since this composition would never have been made without OneSketchist, I officially dedictate it to him! (Whatever that really means)...


Drawing a Universe (yourlisten.com)   (It is downloadable, if someone wants it as a file).


Should I finish the song?









Now I'm moving on to the last thing of this already too long entry.



!!!OBS!!! Those sensitive to dead and dissected stuff should not go on !!!OBS!!!

I know at least one of you might be, and I hope you havn't seen what will probably be the thumbnail for this entry. I am kind of a sick bastard, so I did something... Interesting...


Really, you shouldn't keep reading in that case. I'll leave an empty space before you scroll down too far and see that abomination of a picture that I took. I would call it pure art... But you might feel a strong sense of disgust!















































What is that you might think? Eh?


It's a mastery of creativity, it is true art. The idea was sadly not mine, but the idea of a pure genius!

If you observe the picture closely, you might see something that resembles an abomination of a smiley face.


You mightn't like this, but the eye to the right is actually a real eye! The one to the left is the iris of the very same eye, removed with something sharp.

That reddish thing forming the mouth? The former eye muscles of course!


The one that my friend made looked 1 million times better, but sadly, a picture of that one was never taken.

You cannot imagine how much him and I laughed at this during class.


Some of you might even find this sickening and unethical, and that is exactly what made it so funny in the first place!


It's funny exactly because it's so wrong and disturbed.

Using googly eyes and a red string would have a completely different effect.


Anyhow, that is what used to be a pig's eye.

We were tasked to dissect the eyes in class, observing it's different parts.
The removed iris is actually muscles, usually containing color pigments. The iris is responsible for contracting and expanding the pupil, which is really just a hole, when for example too strong light is directed towards the eye. If you're brain dead, the iris won't function normally. That is often checked by a flashlight shining against the eyes.


Another part we carefully removed from the eye was the lens. Did you know that you actually see the whole world upside down through the lens in your own eye? What you see is simply processed in your brain and flipped the right way before you notice anything (nk).

This could be demonstrated by looking through the lens that was surgically removed. From the right distance you saw everything upside down through the lens!



So, that is all for this time (and it was quite a lot!).

This isn't even my longest entry. This one contains just above 1700 words. Quite an essay right?


(holy shit, it's over 4 am already!)


Hmm...

How should I end this blog this ti........

No comments:

Post a Comment